Amber is a 1996 Nissan Cefira which I have been travelling around ...
Moonlight Country Horse Trekking - Queenstown
There’s nothing better than getting in the saddle and heading out on a horse trek – especially in the amazing scenic region around Queenstown.
I decided to saddle up for a guided horse trek across the tussock-covered hills of Moonlight Country, and I was in for a real treat.Heading out with my guide Anna, we rode amongst the animals on a typical deer farm, whilst soaking up the spectacular alpine views of the Remarkables mountain range and Coronet Peak ski area.
Grazing elk and rare white fallow deer grazed alongside us as we trotted through the 800 acre Doonholme farm. Sam, the Golden Labrador insisted on coming with us on the ride and he padded along beside us all the way.
The best thing about Moonlight Country horse trekking is you can go at whatever pace you’re comfortable with. So if you’re just a beginner, that’s fine – they’ll take it slow and steady. But if you want to feel the wind in your hair, you can step it up a notch and get a trot or a canter in along the way. I managed to get a couple of good canters in towards the end, and it was so exhilarating to watch the mountains rushing by in the distance.
With such amazing scenery to ride through, it’s a definite must-do part of a trip to Queenstown, especially if you want to get off the adrenalin circuit for a breather…unless you want to go all hell for leather of course!
• Moonlight Stables can be found at Morven Ferry Road in Queenstown. It’s a 15 minute drive from Queenstown or five minutes from Arrowtown.
• Janice and Geoff Clear have owned the stables for over 20 years, which has been operating since 1962.
• They take out three standard treks per day, with up to 15 riders per trek.
• You can ride into the hills above Lake Hayes, or down to the trout rich Kawarau River.
• Don’t forget to wear sturdy shoes and long pants for the ride. Safety helmets and Driazbone coats are supplied.
• There is a courtesy coach pick-up from Queenstown accommodation and booking offices.
• Treks cost $99 per adult and the ride lasts approximately 1.5 hours. Half and full day rides are also available.
• For more information call Moonlight Stables on 03 442 1229 or visit www.moonlightcountry.co.nz Bookings are essential.
Rachel stayed at Base Backpackers Discovery Lodge at 49 Shotover Street, Queenstown, which is a great central location. Reception and internet is open 24 hours, and there’s an Altitude bar open daily from 4pm until late. There’s also a travel desk open from 8am until 8pm daily. For more details call 03 441 1185 or email: email@example.com