Pinterest Twitter Facebook Instagram
Travel Insurance
New Zealand Travel Tips & Questions

What I need to know when buying a second hand car?

It is always a good idea to get a pre-purchase vehicle inspection before buying. If you are buying at an auction then this is provided on site for a fee or alternatively the AA offer a mechanical service of this kind.

Although not a legal requirement it is highly advisable to take out insurance to avoid the chance of huge legal bills if you are involved in an accident. All vehicles over 6 years old must have a Warrant of Fitness (WOF), renewable every 6 months – the equivalent to an MOT – and have a Vehicle License which is the equivalent to the British road tax.

When you buy a vehicle you must register the change of ownership within 7 days of purchase.

If the vehicle runs on diesel you will also need to pay Road User Charges.

It is also advisable although not compulsory to obtain a Vehicle Information Report (VIR). In New Zealand the vehicle and not the owner is liable for any traffic violations, fines or tickets and you may inherit theses with the vehicle. The check will also show whether the vehicle is stolen.

You must have a valid UK driving license which must be carried with you whenever driving.

The NZ Transport Agency has comprehensive guidance on all of the above and how you can go about getting them.