Facebook Twitter Google Plus
backpackerboard
guided tours in New Zealand

Working holiday visa- age limit

An archive of the most asked questions and answers on the forum.

Age Limit

Postby muppo » Fri Mar 27, 2009 12:43 pm

The working holiday visa is 18 - 30 - but it means you have to until 11 months in your '30th year' to apply - that's what I did.

So as long as you apply before your 30th year and 11 months, you'll be fine. You then have 12 months from the date of the visa approval to be inside NZ or the visa will expire.

For people OVER the 30/11 - there is a superduper brand new visa called the IEP which you can only apply via BUNAC. This is open to Brits only and allows you to enter NZ up until your 35!

Also, it means you are legally entitled to do both. You can apply for the WHV AND you can apply for the IEP! It's super.

My understanding on the employment limit is 3 months per employer but you can work for the maximum of 1 year on your WHV. If you have the 23 month WHV the same rules still apply - 3 months per employer and 1 year working only out of that 23 months.

:)
muppo

Postby lotr fan » Thu Apr 23, 2009 4:23 am

We really wanted to extend our visas to the 23 month one but because I am 31 we cannot! It is ridiculous and I do not agree with it. You can apply for the 23 month visa up to 31 and activate it once in NZ I mean what is that!! You are over 30 but you can activate to 23 month one, yet you cant just extend your 12 month visa once here. It doesn't make sense.

I wish everyone could work and live wherever they wanted..
lotr fan
backpackerboard guru
backpackerboard guru

Postby pumkineater » Sun Jul 05, 2009 6:29 am

Yep ,you'll def be fine ,I got my visa 2 days before I was 31 .You get a year then before ya even have to enter the country could also have chosen to get a 2 yr visa if Id have wanted but was short on time cos I would have needed to have medicals n stuff. Hope ya have a fab time ! :-) :-)
pumkineater

Re: Working holiday visa- age limit

Postby zoeyku » Wed Oct 09, 2013 8:19 am

i think the 18-30 limit is inclusive but you really check with immigration.
zoeyku

Re: Working holiday visa- age limit

Postby JimboUK » Thu Feb 27, 2014 4:26 pm

Hi all,

I've just joined the forum as planning to go over to NZ when I have enough money together. I've just completed a one year working holiday in Australia aged 28-29. I had a nightmare with regional work so didn't get my 2nd year visa and have recently returned to the UK. The plan was to go straight to NZ from Australia but I couldn't really afford it. Anyway, I applied for my 12 month working holiday visa for NZ whilst in Oz which was granted in a few days. However, I turn 30 next week so I'm unsure about whether I will be able to extend my stay to 23 months if I decide to, which is highly likely. From reading this thread it seems you are alright if you enter and apply in NZ having not turned 31. But is there a window to when you can apply for the extension? I.e. Is it possible if I was to spend 6 months here, leave in say September/October, arrive in NZ, go to an immigration office only to be told you need to have been on NZ soil for 6-9 months before you can apply for an extension or something?! In which case I will have turned 31 and therefore be ineligible. Or can you apply for the extension at any point within the 1st year? Thanks!
JimboUK

PreviousNext

Return to Frequently Asked Questions