Pinterest Facebook Instagram
seasonal work backpackers

Converting overseas driving licence

Buying a camper van, hiring a car, driving a work's vehicle, renting a scooter for the matter what it is, if you intend to drive a vehicle while you are in New Zealand you will need to bring your original driver licence from back home.

If your stay in New Zealand is longer term – a year or more – your licence from back home will not be enough and you will need a New Zealand driver licence. Converting your overseas licence to a New Zealand version is relatively straightforward provided your home country licence is current or, if it isn't current, anything up to year outside its expiry date is acceptable.

Overseas Conversion Driver Licensing Agents

Dotted all around the North and South Islands are what are known as Overseas Conversion Driver Licensing Agents. Visiting one of these is your first step to converting your driver licence into a New Zealand one. These specially authorised sites are plentiful, with the greatest concentration found in Wellington – which has 4 – and in Auckland – which has 10. A full list of all the sites complete with addresses and telephone numbers can be found at

Documentation You Will Need for Your Application

1. The application form – DL5. This 4-page document  (2 of the 4 pages are checklists and information only pages) can be downloaded and printed from so you can complete it before arriving at your chosen agent site. Alternatively you can pick it up and complete it on arrival at your agent site. 

2. Proof of identity – for overseas visitors this is most typically your passport.

3. Your original overseas driver licence (which will need a translation if it is not in English).

4. Proof that your eyesight is of the required standard. This can be by way of an optician's or doctor's certificate issued within the last 60 days by a registered New Zealand professional or by taking a test at an AA Centre, AA Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agent or Rural Mobile Unit.

5. A medical certificate if you have a medical condition which is deemed to have a possible negative impact on your ability to drive safely such as diabetes, epilepsy, heart conditions and so forth.

6. Clear, quality photocopies of all the original documentation listed above.

Along with having your photo taken you will also be required to pay an application fee which varies depending on the type of licence you are converting to.

Credit: NZ Transport Agency
Credit: NZ Transport Agency

Will I need to take a Theory Test or a Practical Test?

The answer to that is no if you have held a full drivers licence for at least 2 years, require just a car or motorcycle licence conversion and you happen to be from one of the following countries - Australia, Austria, Belgium, Canada, Denmark, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hong Kong, Ireland, Italy, Japan, Luxembourg, Netherlands, Norway, Portugal, South Africa, South Korea, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, UK, USA.

If you are a newer driver or come from a country not listed above you may have to take a theory test, practical driving test or both – all of which attract additional fees. The NZ Transport Agency website - – has full details of this process.

What Happens Next?

Following your visit to your chosen agent site and submission and acceptance of all your supporting documentation, your application will be forwarded to the NZ Transport Agency for processing. Typically you will receive your driver licence within 3 weeks of this date. Should your application be delayed, refused for any reason or further documentation is required you will receive a letter detailing what is required. 

Remember your overseas licence can only be used for the first 12 months of driving in New Zealand, after this you must apply for a conversion if you wish to continue driving in the country. So be sure to leave plenty of time before the 12 months is up to allow for the processing time and any possible hitches you might encounter.

Seasonal Jobs Reclaim tax from working in New Zealand Seasonal Work for backpackers Backpacker seasonal work Self Containment certificate in Auckland
Most Read Articles
Converting overseas driving licence
Check out our guide to how you convert your driving licence to a NZ one.
Fruit Pick Your Way Around NZ
Travelling can be expensive so why not supplement your travels with a bit of seasonal fruit picking work
New Zealand's Best Festival & Events
Ahhh.....where to begin? There are hundred's to choose from but here are a few of our favourites...
NZ Best Beaches - North Island
You are spoilt for choice, but here are a few of our favourite spots.
New Zealand ID cards
Lucky enough to look under 25?! Then you might want to think about getting yourself one of these.
Auckland on a Budget
If you know where to look there are loads of cool things you can do and places to stay in Auckland that won't break the bank.
Unique Activities To Do - South Island
You are spoiled for choice when it comes to choosing the most spectacular, thrilling or awe-inspiring activities...but here are just a few of our favourites.
Rotorua on a Budget
If you are running low on travelling funds then check out our guide to grabbing a bargain in Rotorua.
Best Beaches - South Island
With so much amazing coastline on the South Island its always going to be hard to choose what the best beaches are, but here is our pick of them.
Unique Activities To Do - North Island
With so many activities on offer in the North Island it can be tricky choosing something truly memorable to do.