Jet boating is a real must-do activity in Queenstown. Jumping on the Kawarau Jet is a great way of seeing the amazing diversity of Queenstown’s waterways.
The 43 kilometre, hour long adventure starts from Queenstown Bay and cruises through the pristine waters of Lake Wakatipu and through the tranquil beauty of the willow-lined Kawarau River.
We got the chance to check out the amazing homes which line the lakeshore, before soaking up the views of the amazing Remarkables mountain range and natural land formations.
It’s quite leisurely at first, with our guide telling us a bit about the history of the area. Next thing I know, he’s cranked it up a notch and his driving skills are tested to the max as we’re speeding into the shallow, fast moving narrow parts of the gold rich Shotover River.
Reaching speeds of up to 85kph/50mph, in water often less than 10cm deep, the jet boat feels amazingly light as it zooms across the surface.
And now for the technical bit! We were told the Kawarau jet boat works by the water getting sucked in through a grill flush with the hull by an internal propeller, which delivers the jet-thrust above water level through a round nozzle which gives steering by diverting the jet of water. So now you know!
With a few breath-taking turns and 360 degree spins, all the faces inside the jet boat were beaming as we arrived back at the Main Town Pier.
Exhilarated and damp from the spray, I had to give Kawarau Jet a massive thumbs up.
I also got the chance to check out the Underwater Observatory where I got the chance to feed the fish and eels that live close to the shore.
• The big yellow Kawarau Jet leaves every hour, 365 days per year, at the Main Town Pier in central Queenstown.
• Kawarau Jet was born in the summer of 1960 and has been operating on Lake Wakatipu, the Shotover and Kawarau Rivers ever since.
• Their fleet includes eight boats all of which have been designed by K-Jet and built by Mackraft Boats in Bluff, New Zealand.
• The boats are specifically designed for maximum performance, safety and passenger comfort.
• For more information and to book call 03 409 0000 or Freephone 0800 52 92 72.
• You can also email: firstname.lastname@example.org or visit www.kjet.co.nz
Rachel stayed at Base Backpackers Discovery Lodge at 49 Shotover Street , Queenstown, which is a great central location. Reception and internet is open 24 hours, and there's an Altitude bar open daily from 4pm until late. There's also a travel desk open from 8am until 8pm daily. For more details call 03 441 1185 or email: email@example.com