Facebook Twitter Google Plus
backpackerboard

Income tax refund for travellers to NZ

Put anything in here - but keep it clean!!!

Income tax refund for travellers to NZ

Postby JR1815 » Thu May 13, 2010 2:36 am

Just wondering what the process is to file income taxes in NZ. Is it expected that you will get most of your money back or not? My wife and I had a WHV for Australia and spent a year there and received a majority of our income tax back, just wondering if it is similar here in NZ.

Thanks,
JR
JR1815

Postby purplekat99 » Mon May 17, 2010 7:18 pm

My first year, I hardly got anything back, but since I only worked like 4 months my 2nd year, I got most of it back. I would only file if you know for sure you are getting something back or you think you want to return someday.
purplekat99
backpackerboard guru
backpackerboard guru

Postby JR1815 » Tue May 18, 2010 7:41 am

Thanks, that's good to know. However, we have worked here for approximately 6 months and my wife is nursing here, making a considerable wage. It doesn't seem right that she would receive most of her taxes back. How do you know if it's worth while to file taxes? I have heard that you can enter your IRD number on their website and it will tell you how much money you have paid in taxes and there for how much you are likely to get back, is this true?

Thanks for taking the time to answer my questions.
JR
JR1815

Postby evolve » Tue May 18, 2010 10:57 am

I've just filed my tax return - there is an electronic worksheet on the IRD website that will work out if you're owed money back:
http://www.ird.govt.nz/calculators/tool ... undbutton1
The start button was a little tricky for me to find at first - it's on the far right at the top of the orange-ish box :)

You'll just need your wage and taxes paid info from your last pay stub (or SOE if you got one).
Don't forget to reduce the amount of taxes paid by the amount of the ACC levy (they tell you somewhere on the IRD site what the % is) because you wont get that amount back and it doesn't count as a tax credit.
I'm getting back around 1/3 of what I paid, so I think it's work checking.
evolve

Re: Income tax refund for travellers to NZ

Postby westernstar » Mon Jul 30, 2012 10:42 pm

I recently worked in New Zealand and wanted to clear up my tax affairs before heading back home to the UK. I used a company called mytax which I found on Google. I did shop around a bit before applying because the fees differ. It turns out I didnt get a huge refund so I didnt pay a great fee but all the same some are larger than other. Mytax was friendly too and my bank deposit refund arrived within about 4 weeks. :beer
westernstar

Return to New Zealand Chat