Facebook Twitter Google Plus
backpackerboard
Guided tours of New Zealand | Cycling Trips

Which backpacker bus company to go with??

An archive of the most asked questions and answers on the forum.

Postby Nicola » Sat Feb 21, 2004 4:08 am

Having a great time on Kiwi Experience. Met loads of people and easy to mix.

Thought it would be a bit young and party like, but there are a lot of oldre people on our bus - 22-30 range. There obviously have been a few party nights! But we haven't been pushed into doing anything by the driver which is great!

All in all its been great, two buses been travelling together which gives even more opportunity to mix.

I would recommend it, especially if travelling alone and want to meet people.

Nicola
Nicola

Kiwi Experience or magic?

Postby kiwi_guide » Fri May 14, 2004 1:19 pm

here is my "two cents" worth. I often drive a charter bus to different locations around the North Island. I cross paths with passengers using both Kiwi Experience and Magic Bus Services. I ask them of their experiences. It seems that Kiwi Experience is the one with biggest reputation as a party bus. That is sometimes considered great but then again others say too much of a good hangover is a drain! Drivers do get free meals at most on road cafes, the secret password OTH (on the house) the cafe owners appreciate the drivers arriving with plenty of potential customers. Both companies I believe, use particular accomodation and backpackers because these places offer good service to their passengers.
kiwi_guide

Winter Travel

Postby cwazygirl » Thu Jun 03, 2004 9:23 pm

Hi!! Does anyone know which (if any) of the bus companies work during the winter months?? I'll be in NZ mid-June till early July. I'd like to camp most of the time (I'm very experienced) and do hostels from time to time.

Thx!
- cwg
cwazygirl

Postby Flying Kiwi » Fri Jun 04, 2004 10:11 pm

Kiwi Experience and Magic Travellers operate year round, they are hostel based though. Most people find it too cold to camp at this time of the year - hence why we are having a few months off the road. As long as you have good gear though camping is fine. You wont really be able to get to the better camping spots with two companies I mentioned though as they are in towns at night.

Have fun

Dennis
Flying Kiwi

Postby cwazygirl » Sat Jun 05, 2004 12:26 am

Hi Flying Kiwi - Thanks for the info. It was very helpful. I don't plan to camp for all of the trip, only those nights that the weather isn't too bad. I'm mainly looking to keep my costs down by tenting instead of paying for the price of a room in the hostels. So I won't really be going on the trails unless I decide to do some actual tramping.

I will check into Kiwi Exp and Magic to see what their prices are. How is the intercity coachline?? Their prices seem to be pretty reasonable but I'm not sure they cover as much of the same area as the others.

Thx again for all your help!

- tm
cwazygirl

PreviousNext

Return to Frequently Asked Questions